HSAA Facility PROF/TECH
Posting Open Date:
Posting Close Date:
QuarryPark - At
Temporary End Date:
Hours Per Shift:
Length of Shift Cycle:
Shift Per Cycle:
Days, Evenings, Nights, Weekends
As Per Rotation
Rates of Pay:
Minimum: 25.65 per hour Maximum: 31.81 per hour
Administrative/Clerical, Ambulance/Paramedics, Communications
The Southern Communication Center is one of three Alberta Health Services' dispatch centers in the province. Our new location in Calgary is currently under construction with an expected occupancy in April 2015. This facility will be fully equipped with high-end, groundbreaking telecommunications technology to ensure that Albertans get immediate access to emergency medical resources.
Reporting directly to the Deployment Manager, the Emergency Communication Officer (ECO) plays a key role within the Emergency Medical Service (EMS) Dispatch, Communications and Deployment department.
As an Emergency Communication Officer you will:
- answer emergency medical calls from one of three sources: 911, medical centers requesting inter-facility patient transfers and air ambulance requests
- operate multiple technologies including radio transmitters and receivers, radio consoles, telephone and computer
- coordinate and dispatch the appropriate emergency service to the location of the incident
- provide pre-arrival instructions to callers such as CPR steps until EMS personnel arrives
- communicate necessary information to field personnel via radio or telephone
- maintain system status management to determine where the ambulance goes after the call response
- complete a variety of reports based on activity to inform deployment performance measures
- make key decisions and contribute to the achievement of the goals of the EMS dispatch process
The successful candidates may be required to travel during the first 6 months to Edmonton or Peace River for training and skill maintenance.
The Southern Communication Center operates 7/24/365; therefore, ECOs are required to work shift work with the majority of shifts being on a team that completes two days of 12.5 hours shift, followed by two nights of 12.5 hours shift, followed by 12 days off.
- Grade 12 or General Equivalence Diploma(s
- Successful completion of a post-secondary communications program is preferred.
- BCLS- HCP required. Please include copy of your certification or receipt for upcoming course with your resume.
- 40 WPM or higher (typing test will be administered
- Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD) Certificate with the National Academy of Emergency Dispatch is an asset, however training will be provided.
- Computer skills with a good knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Experience in a customer service industry or clerical/office experience is an asset.
- Critical thinking, sound judgment and decision making skills.
- Ability to calmly communicate with different audiences in high-energy situations.
- Strong grasp of the English language, both spoken and written.
- Understanding of medical terminology is an asset.
- Dispatch experience preferred but not required.
- Ability to travel during the first six months of employment for training and skill maintenance.
Career Level: Experienced
Industry: Healthcare and Medical Services
Job Function: Healthcare Services and Wellness